Tuesday, March 25, 2008

FOR ONE MORE DAY

I just finished reading Mitch Albom's newest book, For One More Day. I thought this was a great book. It is the story of a man who is given the chance, in a very unique way, of having one more day with his mother, who passed a way several years before. In this "one more day" he spends with his mother, he has the opportunity to heal himself through questions that are answered about his life as well as his mother's and father's lives. He also has the opportunity to say the things he didn't say before she died.

This book made me think a lot. It made me think of my own mother and father and my relationship, past and present, with them. It made me think of my own kids and their relationship, past and present, with me. It also made me think who I might want "one more day" with. I haven't totally answered this question yet. I don't know if I would want "one more day" with someone I have known. What I would like more is "one day" with someone I have never met. My father's sister was murdered by her husband, who then killed himself. I would like "one day" with her, I guess to just be nosey and ask her about her life and tell her how devastating the whole thing was to her children who had to continue to live their lives afterwards. Another person I would like "one day" with is my dad's father. He died, I think, when I was a year old. I would like to ask him about his life, and about my dad's life as a boy.

I guess if I were to pick someone to have "one more day" with, I would pick my grandfather, my mother's dad, mostly because I miss him. I think I was closer to my grandfather than I was to my grandmother. My grandfather was always teasing and making jokes. I think I only had one serious conversation with him in my whole life (of which I won't go into here). Maybe that is what I would talk to him about. I would be serious, just for part of the day, and talk to him about his life, and his testimony. Then maybe the rest of the day we could go back to joking around and teasing again. :0}

Who would your "one more day" be with?

6 comments:

Inklings said...

I was surprised at who you picked, probably because I felt closest to our mother's mother. I didn't realize you were alive when our father's father died, though. Interesting blog.

Amber said...

if we had to pick someone who passed away I would pick either Aunt R***, because she was always so happy and so much fun, or Great Grandma Adab**** who I never met but who sounded awesome

Keira said...

I would definitely pick Great Grandpa H...just because I have such vague memories of him but yet for some reason I've always felt a closeness or a connection of some kind to him. There have been several times in my life where I know I've felt his presence.

Delirious said...

Well, this may be surprising, but my first thought was that I would like to have a day with Joyce just to get to know her. I have always thought she was probably the "missing link" that tied our family together more some how. I would like to see if she is anything at all like me. :)

Stacy said...

Interesting blog! If I were to spend one more day with someone it would be my great grandmother. She was actually born in Germany and came to the United States through Ellis Island. She was such a cool lady and I would love to talk to her about her life and what it was like immigrating to the US

PsychDoctor said...

I have not experienced a lot of death in my family (knock on wood)...I remember when Great Grandpa H, and Great Grandma H. died, I was on my mission when my dad's dad died, and that....is all of the death I have experienced...Sadly, it makes me feel anxious to think of talking to any of them because we never really talked when they were alive and I worry that we would have nothing to talk about and it would be an awkward, strange day... :)