Wednesday, November 9, 2011

THE STOREHOUSE

Today I'm thankful for the opportunity my husband and I have to work in the Bishop's Storehouse.  The reason I say this today is because tomorrow is Thursday and that's one of the days we go (the other day being Saturday).  The Bishop's Storehouse is like a grocery store without the cash registers.  It's a place that people from our faith can go to get groceries, if they are having hard times.  In payment, they can come work in the storehouse with us sometime, or do other things like clean the church building.  We work with a group of really great people who have become our friends.

When we first started, there were afternoons when we didn't have many people come in, so us women would pull out our needlework.  The past couple of weeks we've been so busy that we haven't had time to do much needlework.  Must be a sign of hard times. 

I think it's fun to work in the Storehouse.  We process fruits and vegetables by putting them in plastic bags in increments of 5 pounds for the apples, oranges and potatoes, and 1 pound for carrots.  Then we just help fill the people's orders when they come in.  Sometimes someone will come in with several orders for different people in their ward.  One time we were really busy and almost everyone was already helping someone.  A lady came in with 3 orders.  Three of us each took one, and we all did them alone.  Most of the time we have either the person who the order belongs to or another Storehouse person helping pull the order.  I thought it was great fun to do the order by myself because then I could let my OCD kick in and  put stuff in boxes EXACTLY the way I want it.  :0D 

About a week ago I was going through a personal hard time and had been quite depressed for a few days.  I just want to say here that this was strictly a personal matter and had nothing to do with my marriage, my husband or any of my children.  That Thursday morning when I was putting my makeup on to get ready to go to the Storehouse, I was really feeling bad and you know, it's really hard to put makeup on when you can't stop the tears from falling from your eyes... Anyway, I worried that I wouldn't be able to pull it together to make it through the day at the Storehouse.  But, when I walked through that door, it literally felt like the Lord just lifted that burden right off of my shoulders and I not only never thought about it again while I was there, I actually had a really nice day. 

I'm so thankful for this inspired welfare program and for the opportunity my husband and I have to be a part of it.

1 comment:

Delirious said...

Oh great...so it had to do with one of your siblings... ;) joke. :D

I like to go to the Bishop's storehouse to pick up orders, but I have to admit that when I have more than one order to pick up, I'm relieved to have help from the workers there. It is a lot of work!