Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I WANT TO BE A MISSIONARY NOW...

My husband and I have been asked to serve a service mission for our church for the next year.  We will be working 2 days a week at the Bishop's Storehouse, where people who are in need can come to get groceries.  They then pay back those groceries by working in the Storehouse themselves.  We start tomorrow.  We've known about this for about a month and have been waiting for the paperwork to go through.  We will be released from our other callings as soon as they find replacements for us.  This means in my case, giving up my Cubmaster position, of which I have been in only a short 8 months.  I feel sad at giving up this position since I was finally at the point where I was feeling like I actually knew what was going on now.  I also feel sad at losing the relationship with the other Cub Scout leaders and the Cub Scout boys themselves.  I have enjoyed getting to know them very much. It has really been an education to me to be in this position and has been one of the hardest callings I have ever had, not because the work was hard, but because I had no clue how to do it and I felt like I had been put on another planet when I got put in. 

At the same time, I look forward to what this new position will bring, since I have come to learn that no matter what you do in the church, it is always an education and an adventure. 

3 comments:

Inklings said...

You are right that it is aways an education and an adventure. It's amazing what we learn and the skills we acquire.

Delirious said...

I think that is going to be a great service mission for you! My special needs student just finished a one year mission working there. When he was young, his father blessed him that he would go on a mission. His mother thought maybe that just meant his "life's mission". But now he has served a full year working two days a week at the storehouse. He grew so much and did a great job of organzing the stock room!

Dee Ice Hole said...

Congratulations on your calling. Does this mean you aren't coming out to the family reunion next summer?