Sunday, August 23, 2009

LIKE MUSIC TO MY EARS

I just got back from spending 3 days and 4 nights at my parent's house. My brother Twist drove out with me. My other brother, Mr. Giggles (Choral Responses) came the night we got there but had to leave the next afternoon. My sister, Inklings came the morning after we got there and stayed until we left. It was great to be able to spend time with all of them, including my parents. My mom is doing lots better since her surgery, and I think she even tried to "show out" to us by trying to act even better than she actually really was.

It always seems like whenever I'm with family that I want to close my eyes and record every bit of conversation so I can play it back later. It seems we can sit for hours (and we do) and just talk and talk. (And joke, and laugh, and tell stories and cry.) Even Mom seemed to be more "chatty" than usual. I figured it was either because she was feeling so much better, because she was trying to make us believe she was feeling so much better, or because Dad just sits and watches tv and doesn't talk to her that much.

When Twist and I were driving out, we would get so busy talking that when we got to a big town, we could hardly believe we were already to that town. We had never registered the other towns that we had passed, because we were so busy talking.

When I was a kid I used to play the piano ALL the time. I loved to just sit and play song after song. I even used to make up songs I didn't have music for. After I got married, and would come back to the house, I would sit and play the piano because I didn't have a piano at first. Mom would tell me how much she missed hearing me play the piano while she went around and did her work. That is what it is like for me when my kids come over to my house for a family dinner. When I am in the kitchen getting the meal ready, I love to listen to all of them sitting around the house talking to each other. I don't know if they enjoy it the same way I do when I get around my brothers and sisters and parents. My kids all live in the same town except my oldest daughter. I hear them all talking and laughing with each other, and it is like music to my ears.

7 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I'm sorry I didn't make it up for a visit while you were there.

Delirious said...

I feel the same way. My husband can't believe how much our family can just talk to each other non-stop when we are visiting. It seems like we ignore all other pursuits and just spend our entire time talking. And when my kids come home, I love to just be with them and listen to them and joke with them. They are so funny and we spend so much time laughing. I'm curious if you got Mom to tell you the story that I told you about.

My word verification is SLARE I don't have any special meaning for that, but I thought it would be a good entry for Word Joust. ;)

Amber said...

awwww mom! what a sweet blog!

Inklings said...

I feel the same way. And yes, Delirious, we did get Mom to tell us that story. And others.
I wondered if dad didn't talk much because he couldn't get a word in edgewise. :0)
We can always find something to talk about with each other and it's the same way with my kids, so that's a good thing. It's music to my ears, too.

Nene said...

Delirious, she did tell us the story, but it was a little different than your version.

Bullet for Babs said...

I'm intrigued. What is this story?

Twist said...

For all those who weren't there, Mom, a while back, dreamed she went to heaven but knew it wasn't her time to go there yet.