Tuesday, April 15, 2008

thoughts on "bummer"....

So I've been thinking on this quote by Delirious and I've decided that it is only pride in certain circumstances. If you are afraid you are going to make a mistake, not because of what it reflects on you, but on the outcome, then it is not pride. If you are a pianist, and you are performing in the final performance, you are nervous because you don't want to make a mistake that will throw off the choir or another accompanying instrument, or you don't want to cause any flaws in the program. If, as a pianist, you are worried that making a mistake will make you look bad, then it is pride.

Likewise, when you are planning something like an event or program, and you carefully try to plan for everything. When the event happens, then you see mistakes. You see where you should have planned better. You are not worried about how it reflects on you. You are worried about how it affected the event and how it could have gone better. I don't think that is pride.

I think certain pride is good. Pride in ourselves for living the gospel. Pride in our country. Pride in our families. It is only when thinking we are better than others overcomes that pride, that it is bad.

I'm going to keep thinking on this.

1 comment:

Delirious said...

Yea, I agree. Worrying that you did something right for the sake of doing it right isn't pride. Worrying that you will look less than perfect is pride. My whole point in my post was that when I identified that thought, I was able to stop the pride and just worry about doing it right for the sake of everyone else. It really helped me, and amazingly, my nerves went away.