Friday, November 2, 2012

Last Monday I got a call from Gilbert Girl telling me she was on her way to the hospital with her almost 5 year old boy and she wanted me to leave immediately to go to her house to be with the rest of her kids.  That afternoon while she was picking up her 8 year old, the almost 5 boy said to his older sister,
He -  "Guess what I did today?"
She - "What?"
 He said, "I swallowed my Hexbug battery."  (Like a watch battery - a lithium battery)
 She - "When did you do this?"
He - "This morning."
She -"Did you tell Mom?"
He - "No."
So the second her mom got home she told her what he'd done and Gilbert Girl called the doctor who told her to go to the emergency room.  In the emergency room they told her it would be a 2-3 hour wait - that is until they asked her what the emergency was - then they took them straight back.

They took an x-ray and could see it in his stomach.  He ended up spending the night in the hospital.  Both his parents stayed with him while I stayed overnight with the rest of the kids.  The doctor told them that they would do another x-ray at 7 am to see if it had moved into his intestines, but if it didn't move then they would have to go in and get it.  At 7 am the x-ray showed that it had moved, so he was released and sent home with stool softeners.  The doctor told them he had until the next night to pass it and if he didn't then they would go in through the other end to retrieve it.

 The next day after lunch, Gilbert Girl texted me a picture of the battery, with the caption, "Got it!"  We were all very relieved that this episode turned out ok.  It was pretty scary for awhile.   Here's a picture of what the hexbugs look like:


Delirious said...

Oh my goodness! Wow, I would have been a nervous wreck! Glad everything "turned out" nicely. :)

Inklings said...

Yikes! I'm glad everything "came out" Okay. That's scary. I saw our oldest swallow a nickel and as I watched for it, we found pennies, dimes, screws, washers, etc, so we had to have him x-rayed to see if he'd swallowed anything else that might not have passed through. :0s

Amber said...

it was scary! and I'm glad it turned out okay!