Saturday, June 9, 2012


I haven't blogged in awhile because I've just been too busy.  We went to Dallas last weekend to my grandson's graduation and on the way home stopped in my husband's hometown to have lunch with his sisters and pick up some stuff.

I've been sewing a lot lately.  My granddaughter is going on a pioneer trek and so far I've made her a pioneer bonnet and long apron and am in the process of making her pantaloons (yes, she has to have pantaloons to go under her skirt just in case she has to hike it up for some reason.) (??).  I've also been scouring 3 Goodwill stores for blouses.  I found her 3 and will let her pick one of them and give the other 2 to any of her other friends who are going on the trek and need one.  Her mom found a long skirt on Etsy for only $12.00, so once I get her pantaloons done, she's set to go.  The trek is at the end of this month.  I also made a new "Woody" vest for my 4 year old grandson.  His 3 year old brother has started wearing the vest and they are fighting over it, so I made the 4 year old a new one so he can give the other one to his brother.  I also made it a bit bigger.

I am experimenting with plants.  I bought some Calla Lillies to put under one of my trees in the back yard by the house.  They are a beautiful color - yellow with a deep burgundy on the outside.  I planted 3 plants and lost one.  One other plant is doing really well, and the 3rd one is "so-so".  I'm afraid I won't get them to bloom this year, but maybe next year I'll have some blooms and can get pictures.  Unfortunately, as soon as I planted them, the flowers died within a few days, and never bloomed again.  Probably transplant shock.

The other plant I've experimented with is hydrangeas.  I got some blue ones from Gilbert Girl and decided to replant it under my portico in the front driveway.  We have a circular driveway that comes up in front of the front door and the roof of the house extends over it.  It is all shade under there, but I wondered if they would survive and other than the blooms dying, the plant seem to be doing well.  I had to water it like crazy when I first planted it, but it's survived the shock now and is doing ok.  Then the last thing is, my husband planted 2 cherry trees and an apple tree.  I thought for sure we would lose them when we planted them.  They didn't look too good while going through the first planting "shock", but they are doing pretty good now.  The cherry trees are Lupin Cherries and the apple tree is an Arkansas Black.  I have no other info on those, but the apples are red, and the nursery suggested those to us for our area.

Sorry I've been absent for so long.  I need to try to be more diligent in just writing a short post.  We have bigger projects coming up.  My next one is to paint the living room and put up some sheer curtains, and hopefully to get my husband involved by having him replace the baseboards.


Delirious said...

I love hydrangeas, but I have never planted any. I hope your plants all live!

MJ said...

I was a "ma" for a trek this past week and I was such a neat experience! I hope she has a great experience as well!

Inklings said...

The new additions sound beautiful. Dee Ice says that when you plant a tree, it needs 5 gallons of water a day for 3 months to thrive. Most people don't give them that much.