Friday, June 17, 2011

YEARLY MAMMO

I had an interesting experience the other day.  Last Tuesday I had to go get a mammogram.  Just my yearly thing.  As I walked into the waiting room after signing in, I was surprised to see a man sitting there playing classical guitar music.  As I sat there waiting my turn to be called, I wondered what this guy's story was.  Did they hire him to try to make the mammogram experience a bit less stressful?   Did his wife, or mother, or sister have breast cancer, or maybe died of breast cancer, and this waer,s his way of helping others?  Did he just need a place to "practice" his classical guitar in front of a live audience?  Whatever his story was, I was glad he was there, because it was so soothing to just sit and listen to his music.  When he finished his first number, I thought, "Should we clap?" But no one did, so I didn't either.  But as I listened to him play song after song and felt my body just relaxing more and more, I finally felt like I should say something.  The next time he finished a song where he paused for a minute, I thanked him for his beautiful music and told him it was very relaxing.  He made a comment about how wonderful the 1960's and 1970's composers were of the music he had been playing.  I knew a lot of the songs he was playing and the words to those songs went through my mind as he played them.  When my name was called, I went back into the dressing room to disrobe and put a gown on, and realized that his guitar music was piped in back there.  I got to sit there for about 10 more minutes listening to him play.  I don't know if I got my music term right or not, but when I say classical guitar, I mean he didn't strum it, and they weren't Spanish songs.  He just picked each note. I hope you understand what I mean.

2 comments:

Delirious said...

He never said why he was there? How cool that was. Getting a mammo is so stressful, so that would be really nice!

Bullet for Babs said...

That is kind of strange but pretty cool. And I know what you mean about classical guitar.