Thursday, March 31, 2011

PERFECT PECAN PIE

Some of you have requested that I blog my recipe for my pecan pie.  This is my mother-in-law's recipe and I just want to tell you that I think she is one of the best cooks I know.  She has always inspired me to be a better cook.  Every thing she makes is just the best thing you have ever tasted.  Here's a funny story:
Every year we would go to my mother-in-laws house for Thanksgiving.  My parents lived in either Kentucky, or later  Utah and it was too far for us to go for Thanksgiving.  My mom-in-law's Thanksgiving dinners were just the absolute best you ever had seen.  One year, my youngest son, Rintor was anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving.  He had been hearing about his school's Thanksgiving dinner that they served for lunch a week or so before Thanksgiving.  The day finally came and he could hardly wait to get to school.  That day he came home; he looked a little down.  I asked him, "How was the Thanksgiving dinner?"  He said, "It wasn't very good.  Everyone said it was so good, but it wasn't.  It wasn't as good as Grandma's."  I told him, "No one's Thanksgiving dinner is as good as Grandma's."  :0)  Here's her recipe for pecan pie, that I have renamed:
PERFECT PECAN PIE
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbl. melted butter
3 Tbl. flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups lt. Karo syrup
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1 unbaked pie shell
- Beat eggs, blend in butter, flour, vanilla, salt, sugar and syrup.  Mix well so sugar can dissolve.  Add pecans.  Pour into pie shell.  Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 325 degrees.  Bake 40-45 minutes longer.  You can cover the edges of the pie shell with aluminum foil so the edges don't get too brown and uncover them the last 10 minutes.  My mom-in-law says she never covers the edges.  If you use pecans that you have had in your freezer, make sure they are at room temperature before you add them.  If you use a frozen pie crust, make sure it has thawed before you use it.  If you have any problem with this setting up, my sister-in-law says to just use 4 eggs instead of 3. 

3 comments:

Delirious said...

Thank you! But I think you should post your pie crust recipe too. :) I have one I have used for years, but I am wondering how it compares to what other people use. I would like to try some new recipes to see.

Nene said...

Ok, here's my pie crust recipe:

Ingredients:
1 Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust

Directions:
Leave on counter for 15-20 minutes. Unroll. Place in pie pan (I use pyrex).

:0)

Mr. Giggles said...

And seriously...Some time you should try lining the bottom of the pie with baked, mashed sweet potato with a little molasses in it. Best stuff EVER in a pecan pie!