Sunday, February 13, 2011

WHO IS PITTACUS LORE?

I just finished reading a new book called, I Am Number Four.  It was a pretty good book and when I finished I was thinking that I couldn't wait until the next book was published.  I was curious as to who the author was, since it was obvious that he or she was using a psuedo-name:  "Pittacus Lore".  I went to www.authortracker.com/, but they were no help of telling me what the author's real name was.  So since I know that Google is my Friend, I googled "Pittacus Lore".  I found 2 websites.  One, a by Leah Raeder (www.leahraeder.com/ ) which then led me to one called, "The Smoking Gun."  This website said that I Am Number Four was written by two people:  James Frey and Jobie Hughes.  They said that James Frey wrote the book, A Million Little Pieces, which was supposed to be about him and his life as an alchoholic, drug addict and criminal.  Oprah picked it for her book club once.  She thought it was one of the best books she had ever read and even her whole staff was reading it at the same time.  She said she would go into work and everyone would ask each other what page they were on.  Anyway, I guess Frey admitted that he lied.  If you are interested in finding out more about this, go to www.thesmokinggun.com/ and in the search put James Frey or "A Million Little Lies".  You  can also type in google:  Who is Pittacus Lore, and then look for Leah Raeder's blog and click on  it.  I had trouble typing in her address - it took forever and never went to it, but if you google it first and then click on it, you can go right there.  I wondered if her website was too busy?
Now the question is:  Do I really want to keep reading this guy's books?  My immediate reaction is No.

2 comments:

Mr. Giggles said...

I'm funny about stuff like that. I just call it "fiction" and read it if I like it. If I don't like it, I won't read it anyway....

Bullet for Babs said...

Politicians speak truths to tell lies. Artists speak lies to tell the truth.