Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK - IT'S A VIRUS!

I'm having some serious computer problems.  Quite awhile ago - like several months ago- I got one of those emails that someone sends you, that is a link. And yes, like an idiot I clicked on it and it gave me a virus, or a worm or something.  Well it has done some serious damage to my computer and even though I'm still able to use it for right now, it is just a matter of time until the hard drive crashes.  My husband called Dell and talked to them about it.  Since my computer is only a couple of years old, and since the 2 year warranty just barely expired, they suggested buying an extended warranty and then get it fixed, so that is what we're going to do.  We have to wait 3 days for the extended warranty to kick in, and then we are going to take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, which is where Dell suggested we take it.  I'd like to get it fixed as soon as possible, because at the end of the month I am going to visit my mother-in-law in another state and take care of her after her surgery.  I'd sure like to have a computer to take with me.  It's interesting, because even though I knew I was having problems, I would never have figured it out if Dell hadn't sent me a download for a computer checkup.  I wonder if they knew I was having problems so that is why they sent it.  Anyway, after it downloaded, it suggested I do a complete scan, which I did.  After the scan it told me that my hard drive was in danger of crashing and I needed to back up all my files.
You know, I don't understand how someone gets their kicks by creating viruses that destroy other people's computers.  I know Inklings just had to get their hard drive replaced, and Amber says she has to get her's replaced also.  The Moral of this story?  Never click on a link that is sent to you unless the person who sent it to you has typed some kind of message to you.  The kind of virus I got was just a link in the text of the email and nothing more.  There also was no subject in the subject line.  After this, I may never click on a link in an email at all!

3 comments:

Delirious said...

My computer is on it's last legs too, and I can barely even use it. Also the monitor keeps cutting out on me. I think in our case, seeing that it is getting old, we might just replace it. Not sure when.... lol

Kristen said...

I got that email from you! I opened it and it was an online pharmacy. :)
I opened it on my blackberry, so I don't know if anything will happen.

Nene said...

That's weird, because after Inklings said she got one from my husband, he looked on his sent mail and saw that his account had sent hers. But maybe mine sent them out too. :0+ Hope it didn't get your computer OR your phone.