Wednesday, June 24, 2009


Amber asked us all to tell a story about Dad last night while we were playing Spinner. We heard lots of stories, but I thought of this one this morning:

When my husband was going to school for his Bachelor's Degree, it was before home computers. That didn't mean the school didn't require you to need a computer to do your homework, so in order to do so he had to go to the university's computer lab. It was a first come, first serve basis and sometimes when you got there, you might have to wait several hours before a computer would be free.

My husband went to school at night and had classes that ran up to 10pm at night. Since I had at least 3 kids at that time and maybe more (can't remember exactly when this happened), I was always tired when 10pm came and often times would go to bed, planning on "just laying there awake until he got home" but then would fall asleep within just a few minutes. I must have done this that night, but I woke up about 2am and realized that he hadn't come home yet. I started to worry and as time went by worried even more. I have a very active imagination and it didn't fail me that night as I thought of all the horrible things that might have happened to him. I worried, prayed and fretted and finally decided that maybe I should call the police to see if he was dead, broke down somewhere, or maybe in jail. :0) Just as my hand reached the phone, I heard the front door open. By the time he walked in the bedroom, I was already in tears from relief that he was okay. Puzzled, he not only asked me why I was in tears, but why I was awake. When I told him, he said, "Didn't you remember me telling you I had to stay late after class for a computer lab?" Oh right, now I remembered, although I didn't think it would take that long. Come to find out he had to wait 2 hours before he could even get a computer. Think about that as you click off of this blog and on to your next website. :0)


Delirious said...

I'm sure you can sympathize with the time when we were living in China, when my husband went home alone to the states on business and didn't call me for the entire 3 weeks!!! I don't know what was going through his mind! I think he was very busy with meetings, then would get back to his hotel late and was so exhausted he would just fall asleep. I started imagining that maybe he was tired of being married with three kids and had taken off to some other country to live out the rest of his life. There were several other scenarios. Suffice it to say, I was one very mad wife when he finally got home.

Amber said...

poor dad, I seriously don't know how he did it!

Dee Ice Hole said...

Of all the people i know i have the most respect for your husband. Nobody ever deserved more to be a great success than he does. I remember those years and him going to night school and working full time at Texas Electric and trying to get ahead. We were struggling to make it too at that time but I was just always in awe that he continued to plug through school quarter after quarter to finally graduate.

I know you guys earned the right to be successful and I have always been tickled that he has been such a success - since he left Texas Electric.

For all of your kids---YOU HAVE ONE AWESOME DAD!

Stace-Ghost said...

Yeah I love my technology. I don't know how you guys did it before.

Stace-Ghost said...

And that was Babs. Not Stace-Ghost. Babs tells Stace-Ghost to sign out so this doesn't happen but she has selective hearing.