Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PEAS


When I was a kid I hated peas. I mean I really, really HATED peas. HATED! They literally made me gag. I thought I would throw up if I had to put them in my mouth. My mother didn't understand this. She loved peas. She served us those frozen peas, not canned peas. She couldn't understand someone who did not love peas, therefore she made me eat my peas. This would turn into quite an ordeal. I can remember sitting at the table for a LONG time trying to eat my peas. I couldn't do it. Could. Not. Do. It. So I finally devised a method where my peas would disappear (or seem to) to satisfy my mother that I had ate my peas. When she was looking, I would put a pea in my mouth. Just one. I couldn't handle more than that. When she wasn't looking, I would take a pea and smash it under my glass. Or under my plate. Or under the salt shaker, or any other plate or glass or bowl on the table. I would drop a few on the floor, making sure to give them a toss in different directions. I would even put some in my pockets. I loved it when we ate outside, because getting rid of my peas was no problem then. All I had to do was continually drop them on the grass under the picnic table and they were gone.
I don't know if my mother ever knew that I never ate my peas. If so, she never said anything. And guess what else? I really don't hate peas anymore. In fact, I love pea salad with canned peas. And there's a layered salad that I love with the frozen style peas in it. Do I ever just serve peas straight as a side dish? Nope! But I also like them fresh out of the pod!

5 comments:

Delirious said...

I love fresh peas out of the garden, but my kids don't! I can't understand it! To me, peas in the pod are some of the best food in the world!

I worry that my kids will grow up hating green beans because I serve them so often.

Inklings said...

I remember doing the dishes, picking up your plate, and finding peas in a perfect circle around it. :0)

Nene said...

Oh yeah, I forgot. I would also try to spread the peas out on the plate so there wouldn't look like there were so many. Sometimes Mom would come by and tell me I had eaten enough. :0)

Stick said...

I always hated peas when I was younger. I hated the canned peas, and since I hated them, I assumed all peas tasted that bad. When I finally tried fresh peas, and found out I liked them, I realized what the problem was. Canned peas have all the flavor cooked out of them. The only thing they are good for is a stew, and then only if there are no frozen available.

Bullet for Babs said...

I never hated peas but I had a hard time with green beans...now I don't mind them, but I don't love them either...